This is my own recipe for Ocean Banana Blossom AKA vegan fish! I experimented with different flours and flavours to create the perfect batter coating. Have you ever wondered what to cook a vegan instead of fish? Look no further! This is wonderful with french fries, mayonaise and fresh lemon. Keep a can of banana blossom in the cupboard for a quick and easy, tasty alternative to fish.
Ocean Banana Blossom
- mixing bowl
- Frying pan
- 1 cup cornflour
- 1 cup gram (chickpea) flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 sheets Nori paper
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1 can banana blossom (usually containes four sections)
- Shred or chop the nori paper into small pieces
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl EXCEPT the banana blossom
- Add water slowly until you have a pourable batter
- Carefully drain the delicate banana blossom and place on kitchen paper
- Gently place the blossom in the batter and spoon over mixture until covered.
- Heat cooking oil ready for deep frying
- Gently place the blossom pieces one by one into the hot oil.
- Fry until golden.
- Drain on kitchen paper, and sprinkle with a little salt.
I created all these recipes to feed a non vegan in my household. I only cook food I know everyone will enjoy. My son pestered me to write down my recipes, so here I am sharing them on YouTube, TikTok and Instagram. Ocean Banana Blossom can be eaten in a sandwich, dipped in soy sauce and eaten with rice or on top of some delicious fresh herb mash, as in the video above.
Check back soon for more videos or subscribe to my YouTube channel to be notified when I post.
There are so many amazing alternatives to meat, fish, dairy and eggs. A plant based diet is good for you, your heart and our beautiful planet.